Friday 22 February 2008

Mama had a sad morning - reality check!

Mama got a reality check today and was not prepared for it. Most of you know by now that Mama and I are volunteering at a shelter for the homeless. Today was our 2nd Friday at work. Last Friday we took two men out to look for employment. Both men were excited And filled out several job applications. Two days later one of them walked off. Police were looking for him - has out standing warrants. Mama was devastated and in tears. She has been praying every day for these men. What will Mama do? She will pray harder for him. Mama is special and no one escapes her prayers. I count it a blessing to be prayed for by this best friend of mine - my wife.

Several have asked about "Carlos" (see earlier post this month). He was given food after three days of none and given some cash to enable him to get to Tampa (75 miles) where he has family. The counselor at the shelter says Carlos appears to be a bright young man who should be fine.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

That must be one of the hardest aspects of working with the homeless. You get to know and like somebody and then things just don't work out. I hope you gain some comfort from the ones who do find work.

If Carlos is willing to work hard he should do fine. There are too other many lazy people workers around.

Robin said...

It's hard to see people we pray for make bad choices, sort of helps us understand how God feels when we make bad choices. Don't let anything stop you from praying for him, Mama - I know you will keep on.

Serving is what Jesus did and tears found Him too.

Praying for you as you love and serve!

Robin said...

Oh, who is in the picture?

Indian Lake Papa said...

Thats Mama and Sydney! mama is better tonight, I have a minor cold. We appreciate the prayers.

Robin said...

Very cute picture - looks like a fun time :)

Tam said...

Mama, I love you! I love your heart...I know I don't know your heart - only God does - but here you are...it's been just 2 weeks, you've only been there 2 weeks and you are so genuinely concerned in love and in prayer for these men that your heart breaks for them.

I want to be like you when I grow up!

Anonymous said...

sometimes they seem to so close and I too get upset about the turn for the worse, but then HE reminds me that HE knows the plan HE has for them, and sometimes we are the planters and not the harvestors..saying a prayer for you and mama this morning. Love you, Darla

CrossView said...

Anytime I've dealt with people who are given 2nd (and 3rd and 4th...) chances and I'm let down because I've invested emotional energy into the relationship, the Lord reminds me of how many times He has forgiven ME and how many times I've fallen (and do still fall) and He still loves me. Always a lesson I need to hear again! Keep praying, Mama! =D

Robin said...

Tam, Darla, Crossview,

I so agree with what each of you said! Amen!

Anonymous said...

I am number 10 yea! I am number 10!! I love this sight, I am rarely 10 anything..but you all let me be 10! YAY!!!!

Just checking in on you hope you are all feeling better...thinking of you and sending up a prayer! Darla

Unknown said...

I read the post about a week or so ago about going and helping with employment. I love what you are all doing! I have served at a homeless shelter handing out food and really enjoyed working with the homeless. I thank God for people like you and your wife who are so open to where God needs you.