Wednesday 26 October 2011

Follow me!

If you have followed my blog at all you have seen this picture - the problem is, if you have never been where this picture was taken you have no idea where you are going.

But I think if you were following me you would trust me to lead and have confidence that I would know where we are going. But there are other problems, to follow me you had to leave certain things behind. You had to leave family, you couldn't follow me if you had to work, you would probably need a horse. If you've never ridden a horse or you were afraid of horses, you just probably wouldn't go. I guess the question is, what are you willing to do to follow me? Susan, the lady who took this picture is a great rider. She was right behind me on this trail. I knew she was there, we talked together, we talked about what was ahead, but she was not worried because she trusted me to lead. She was very relaxed and left a lot behind to follow.

Luke 18 verse 22 says "...Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come follow me." To "inherit eternal life" requires asking for God's grace to forgive us of our sins, but that requires us to give him all. If we are unwilling to give him all we cannot follow him. The rich young ruler walked away because he was not willing to give all.

Giving all is not an option. Its mandatory. Everything I have belongs to God, including my time.
What is most obvious in the picture is overlooked. To be there when that picture was taken required my time and a willingness to be there. Think as you finish this, where are you headed? Are you following where Christ wants you to? Does He have you completely? Is he asking for you to do something? Trust him and follow.

No comments: