Monday, 3 November 2008
Friendship - nurture it - with your best friend
Is your spouse or significant other your best friend? Your best friend next to Christ? What do you do to nurture that friendship. Here is the list from papa's perspective what you can do to keep that best friend.
1) This may surprise you as #1 but be willing and eager to forgive if you have been wronged. Usually it is me who has done the "wrong" so this may almost be moot for mama. But I have hurt mama, and yet she is eager to heal the relationship! She has always had a tender heart.
2) Pray together - out loud - for each other - to God. This step is so very important. It is very hard to be critical of your best friend when you are talking to God. My prayer usually follows the theme of thankfulness for mama and and help me to be a better mate.
3) Communication - no clamming up! I use to be bad about that! When angry I would clam up! Now we talk - and I need to listen. Try not to say words that are unkind - especially when upset!
4) I try to let others know how much mama means to me - she is the best. I am careful how I tease her, no put downs!
5) Encourage each other - look to make sure the other is okay - pay attention!
Just a few thoughts - (as I was typing this line mama just shouted going out the door; "Bye baby, I love you!" - I just saw her out the window, go by on her bike to volunteer at church. Heh Heh, yep, papa is a blessed man - a great day already! SHE LOVES PAPA !!